Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Happy Holidays

Hello!

I hope everyone had a very nice Thanksgiving (if you were celebrating), and I wish you all a holiday season filled with meaningful memories, family, friends, peace and joy. 

Personally, some members of my family and I will be getting away for a week, to spend some quality time together away from the hustle, bustle, and cold of New York.  I will always be a New Yorker at heart, but I do appreciate getting away now and then, as well as coming back home (hopefully somewhat refreshed) after a trip away.

Do you have any exciting projects/ways you're giving back this holiday season that you'd like to share here?  The Birthmark Project is all about empowerment, acceptance, compassion and giving back, and I'd love to hear from you. 

I've spent many hours envisioning what I want The Birthmark Project to look like in the future, and how it can specifically give back beyond it's online presence.  One organization I've gotten involved in, first when they asked me to be their Keynote Speaker back in June, and now through staying involved and joining their Education Committee is the Anti-Defamation League (ADL).  ADL works to fight hate, bigotry and discrimination, as well as sponsors many programs that help students learn about diversity, how to be an ally, and a responsible, aware citizen.  I'm honored that I've been able to continue to help out at this organization.

There are so many wonderful organizations out there, and I want to hear about them.  Please share what you're doing in your own communities.  When we share what is meaningful and inspiring to us, it inspires others, and creates a more giving environment.

I will keep you informed of future plans  for The Birthmark Project, as I'm able to work towards them.  On a more personal note, I'm still working towards my creative arts therapist license (there's one in New York), looking for a job in the field, working on my one-woman solo (theater) show, and accepting new speaking engagments and coaching clients. 

I feel very thankful to have a job while I'm looking for one in my field, and I'm also getting a healthy dose of reality regarding the job market, and difficulty in finding work, even if one has many years of experience in the field one is pursuing job opportunities in.  To all those out there also job searching, don't lose hope.  I truly believe we get the jobs we are meant to have, in which we can be the most helpful and really be of service to others.  Still, I am right there with you with the frustration (that can come and go).  I know our situations are different-the details are different, AND it helps me to remind myself I'm not alone.  I've been speaking with friends and family also looking for work, and we've been trying to support and encourage one another.  Find someone in your life who you can do this with.  It helps--and not just around job-searching, but life in general (as most of you probably already know, but it helps me to be reminded of it, and I'm hoping it will help you too).

What I'd like to leave you with this holiday season is an appreciation for the people in our lives-our family, friends, the nice barista at our favorite coffee shop, a helpful stranger, a new friend, meeting new people, making new connections, and getting back in touch with friends and family from our past.  This is what this season is really about and (in my humble opinion), what life is really about. 

Happy holidays to you all!

Jennifer

Founder, The Birthmark Project

1 comment:

  1. Just found your blog. Look forward to reading more of it. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete